The west of the Cuban archipelago has in the province of Artemisa, established in 2011, one of the youngest protagonists of the leisure industry, full of attractions for tourism.
Comprised of eight municipalities from Havana and three from Pinar del Rio, it is the thirteenth province in the country in terms of population, with large-scale towns such as Alquizar (1616) and Guanajay (San Hilarion de Guanajay, 1650).
Artemisa has an agricultural area of 272,849 hectares, 68.1 percent of the territory, which allows producing food to meet its demand and supply the capital. In addition, it has the Mariel, a perspective site of high port and industrial development. The highest elevation is Pan de Guajaibon, which is 692 meters in height, and among other attractions, the province has the mouth of the Colorados river in the Batabano Gulf, which emerges in Sierra del Rosario, which is part of the Guaniguanico Mountain Range.
Artemisa has unique proposals such as the hotel Las Yagrumas, just 22 kilometers from Havana and in the middle of rich wooded vegetation, sheltered by the waters of the Ariguanabo River.
Nature lovers have at their disposal Las Yagrumas Trail, which runs from the establishment to the so-called Cueva del Cordero (Lamb's Cave) with a length of two kilometers.
The trail is crossed by several very old stone fences, possibly from the 18th and 19th centuries, which marked the limits of herds and farms, together with the option of appreciating some cumulus of non-specified origin and which could also be archaeologically interesting.
Also in Artemisa is Soroa, which is also known as Cuba's rainbow and has a beautiful waterfall that is 22 meters high and invites tourists refresh at any time of the year.
There, tourists can stay at the Hotel and Villas Soroa, which are complemented by a pleasant microclimate, valuable natural and historic-cultural resources, especially its diverse flora and wild fauna.
In the 18th century, the towns of San Cristobal (1743), Bauta (initially known as Hoyo Colorado, 1750), Mariel (1768), San Antonio de los Baños (San Antonio Abad, 1775, along the Ariguanabo River), Güira de Melena (1779) and Bahia Honda (1779) were founded.
Among the usual destinations of slaves were precisely coffee farms similar to Angerona, which is located in the territory that today occupies the western province of Havana.
Until today, important identifiable remains of the dwelling house, the slave barracks, the warehouses, the drying rooms, the lookout tower and six gigantic reservoirs that are part of its hydraulic system can be seen.
This infrastructure is a work of monumental engineering and an exponent of vital importance in the agro-industrial heritage of the 19th century in Cuba.