Cuba, the largest of the Antilles, a place where religiosity is also present in its various manifestations, welcomes in its geography an extensive network of churches and temples that also stand out as unique attractions for tourism.
Cuba has more than 600 buildings of this type in operation, with outstanding beauty, religious, historical and architectural importance.
The best known of the facilities is the Cathedral of Havana, conceived under the invocation of the Virgin Mary of the Immaculate Conception.
The Baroque style building has three naves and eight side chapels, while at the top of the altar you can admire three frescoes by the Italian painter José Perovani, of which "La Asunción" stands out.
The rest of the paintings found in the chapels and altars were made by the French painter Jean-Baptiste Vermay, founder and director of the Academy of Painting and Drawing of San Alejandro, also author of the canvases in El Templete.
There we find the chapel of Our Lady of Loreto, consecrated by Bishop Morell de Santa Cruz in 1755, and many attractions, both for devotees and those destined to lovers of art and culture.
Among the emblematic sites of the island is the Sanctuary of Our Lady of El Cobre, in the place where the Villa de Santiago del Prado was founded in the 16th century due to the exploitation of the copper mines by order of the kings of Spain.
In addition, there is the Church of San Luis Obispo de El Caney, whose first stone was laid in 1833 and was ready by the end of 1834, with several repairs and capital restorations, the last one in 1955.
In addition, the Cathedral of Bayamo, the only Cuban church with allegorical paintings made patriotic, was the scene of the first libertarian yearning of the island in the 19th century.
The temple was occasionally destroyed by various causes, although the most significant ones were those due to an earthquake or the fire that occurred on January 12th, 1869, which devastated the city, by decision of its settlers, to avoid occupation by the Spanish Colonial troops.
In the east, the church of Our Lady of del Carmen is also added, whose construction was completed in 1766 - a year when it was destroyed by an earthquake - and was restored in 1794.
In this room rest the remains of Esteban Salas Montes de Oca, considered as the father of Cuban music, since his death on July 14th, 1803.
In these places, travelers - Catholic or not - inquire about origins and other details, along with taking photographs in relevant scenarios, some because of their central location and religious performance and others for being a symbol of rebellion.
With this, the leisure industry adds an additional element to the wide offer that is available to those who come to the Caribbean island to know in detail, from its beaches to the cities and history.