Jardines del Rey (King's Gardens), a tourist destination north of the eastern Cuban province of Ciego de Avila, offers the attractions of a group of islets, each of which has one-of-a-kind elements that have become treasures for the country's tourist industry.
The main islets is Cayo Coco, the fourth largest key in the Cuban archipelago with an area of 370 square kilometers and the additional attraction of 22 kilometers of excellent beaches complemented by a vegetation of mangroves and coconut trees.
Those who love the marine environment and a good swim at sea can visit the beaches Las Coloradas, Jaula and Los Flamencos, where there are diving centers that can compare to a huge aquarium.
According to legend, the origin of the islet's name comes from the presence of a bird known as White Ibis, which is popularly called Coco.
The key also holds 200 species of animals, including birds and reptiles like iguanas, as well as more than 360 species of plants, some of which are endemic.
The islet offers first-class hotels, artificial lakes, swimming pools and all entertainment offers and services in an environment that has barely been touched by humans to guarantee tourists an unforgettable stay.
In the northeastern tip of the islet is El Bagá Natural Park, a theme facility surrounded by a well-preserved natural environment and the representation of the most important stages of the formation of Cuba's national identity.
The park's main theme deals about the Bagá tree, a short plant that grows in flooding and humid areas and whose fruit is edible and has medicinal properties.
Visitors can take nautical excursions in aboriginal canoes along a canal covered by red mangrove, where they can watch iguanas, hutias, turtles, crocodiles, fish and chelonians.
The key is connected to the island of Cuba by a 17-kilometer-long artificial causeway over the sea, and has an international airport.
Near Cayo Coco is the city of Morón, founded in 1543 and also known as the city of the Rooster, in allusion to the city's symbol, which is based on a legend from the Spanish colonial period and turned into a major attraction for tourists.
Morón also has a Catholic church that is the oldest construction in the country and has a crenellated tower and loopholes on its walls.
Precisely, in an area in front of the church, the first bullfight in Cuba was held in 1851 by expert bullfighters from Spain.
Among Morón's historic peculiarities is the circulation of the first newspaper in Cuba, "El Faro de Morón", in 1855, directed by Francisco Fernández, and the first horse-drawn carriage in the same period.