Cuba's tourist industry, one of the fastest-growing sectors in the country's economy, has based its development on the many natural, historic and cultural attractions of the Caribbean Island.
More than five centuries of history have contributed to enriching Cuba's many tourist options, which can be found anywhere throughout the country, including hundreds of islets that make up the Cuban archipelago.
Over the past few years, Cuban tourist authorities have prioritized vacation programs linked to the country's natural wealth, and have built hotels in areas of breathtaking beauty.
One of those establishments is the Canimao Hotel, located in western Matanzas province and easily accessed by road, since it is 120 kilometers east of Havana.
The hotel was built on the banks of the Canímar River, a natural complement for guests who choose to stay in the establishment.
In addition, the Canimao Hotel is a sort of stopover en route to the world-famous Varadero Beach, since it is close to the road that leads to Cuba's main coastal resort.
According to experts, the Canimao Hotel offers a wide range of services that provide comfort to its guests, in addition to being an excellent choice that combines culture and nature.
The establishment offers 120 air-conditioned rooms equipped with international phone communications and a private bathroom, and has a swimming pool, cabaret, medical services, cafeteria and a restaurant that serves dishes from both Cuban and international cuisine.
The hotel is just a few minutes away from the city of Matanzas, which was founded in 1693 as San Severino y San Carlos, and is known as the Athens of Cuba or the Venice of the Americas, due to its many rivers, bridges and canals.
Precisely, due to its many passes over water streams, Matanzas is also known as "the city of bridges", including the former La Concordia Bridge, known today as Lacret Bridge, and the Calixto García Bridge, just to mention some.
The city is marked architectural diversity, including the Sauto Theater, which was inaugurated in 1863 and was designed by Italian architect Daniel D'Allaglio. The theater was declared a National Monument.
Plaza de la Vigía, the first arms square in the city, is surrounded by buildings of great historic value such as the Fire Station, the former Customs Office and the Palace of Junco, currently a museum.
Another site of historic interest is Parque de La Libertad (Freedom Park), built in 1800 and surrounded by some of the city's major buildings, one of which is the Artistic and Literary Lyceum.