The dynamic development of tourism in the largest Antillean Island, the fastest-growing sector in Cuba's economy over the past few years, has been accompanied by the incorporation of new options linked to such offers as sun, beaches, culture, history and traditions.
Based on over five centuries of history, the leisure industry takes advantage of visitors' interest in learning the most varied details about the Caribbean Island, which boasts singular attractions like the city of Trinidad.
Situated in the central province of Sancti Spiritus, the formerly called Villa de la Santísima Trinidad was founded in 1514 and was one of the first seven villages the Spanish conquistadors founded in the Cuban archipelago.
Trinidad, also known as Cuba's Museum City, has the privilege of being one of the country's colonial cities, and has one of the most complete and well-preserved architectural environments in the American continent.
Declared World Heritage by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1988, and a must in the conquest of new territories during Spanish colonial times, Trinidad was founded on the banks of the Guaurabo River, where the Spaniards found an aboriginal population they use as slave labor force, fertile lands and excellent ports to prepare their expeditions.
Big, comfortable colonial-style houses, palaces where luxury and waste went hand in hand to integrate into Cuban colonial art, turn Trinidad into an undisputable urban and architectural crown jewel.
The characteristic decoration of Trinidad's houses is based on neoclassic ornamentation, which is shown in murals, molds, wooden frameworks and beautiful iron-wrought railings. All of these constitute one of the city's major charms.
A true treasure containing the most varied wealth, the village expanded its limits in the 16th century, due to the incipient development of the sugar industry, and grew into an urban nucleus of singular iron-wrought railings, beautiful buildings and cobblestone streets.
According to history, the site chosen by Conqueror Diego Velázquez to found the village was where the Martí Park is currently located. It was there where the first mass was officiated by Fray Bartolomé de las Casas, under the shadow of a big "jigüe" tree.
In the 17th century, major economic activities began developing in the village, including cattle raising, tobacco growing and smuggling. The sugar industry became a key economic sector in the 18th century, and in 1827 Trinidad was the city with the largest number of brick and tile houses per inhabitant in Cuba.
Highly coveted by corsairs and pirates sailing in the Caribbean Sea, Trinidad accumulated a glorious history of fights against that scourge, which was very common at the time.
It is due to all those attractions and its first-class hotel infrastructure that Cuba's Museum City has become a must for thousands of vacationers visiting the largest Antillean Island every year.